2017-15 Assistant Summer Day Camp Coordinator
Summer Student Employment Opportunity
Assistant Summer Day Camp Coordinator
The City of Iqaluit Recreation Department is looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Summer Day Camp Coordinator. This job entails assisting the Summer Day Camp Coordinator with the planning and implementation of the summer day camp program. Time commitment involves working Monday-Friday for approximately 35 hours per week for 12 weeks (June 6 through to August 27, 2016).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Camp Coordinator and assist in implementing summer day camp programs
- Supervise and give direction and guidance to 17 Day Camp Leaders
- Be responsible for the overall safety of over 140 campers
- Correspond with parents
- Responsible for opening and closing the facility
- Direct supervision of a camp group as needed
- Maintain a safe, positive environment for campers
- Assist with administrative duties such as completing incident reports, keeping track of attendance, staff payroll sheets, staff schedules etc.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of staff training week
- Supervise campers and lead groups
- Be a role model for other staff – includes having an enthusiastic and positive attitude, being on time, prepared and alert for work and having the safety and best interest of children in mind at all times
- Clear Criminal Reference including the Vulnerability Sector Check
- Current First Aid & CPR certification
- Tuberculosis Screening
Preferred Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience working with children in a recreational setting
- Experience working with the public
- Previous Day Camp experience
- Ability to speak Inuktitut or French
- “High Five” Certification
- Student (some post-secondary education)
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate must successfully pass a criminal reference check (including the Vulnerability Sector) and TB test.
The starting rate of pay for this position is $28.00 per hour + 6% vacation pay
Please submit your resume to:
Reference # 2017-15
City of Iqaluit
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit Nunavut, X0A 0H0
Fax (867) 979 5210
Only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
The city may apply their priority hiring policy for internal applicants.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.