2017-23 Makkuttukkuvik Youth Centre Part Time Casual Youth Leader
Employment Opportunity – Recreation Department
Makkuttukkuvik Youth Centre
Part Time Casual Youth Leader
The City of Iqaluit Recreation Department is looking for enthusiastic and dynamic Youth Leaders who will work with teenagers implementing recreational programs at the Makkuttukkuvik Youth Centre. If you are a good role-model, coach, mentor and motivator who leads by example, then we are looking for you! You will build relationships with youth, implement a wide variety of programs, activities and special events, while encouraging youth engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Assisting in developing and implementing recreational programs at the centre and in the community.
- Working directly with young people to develop their social skills through the delivery of programs and activities.
- Interacting with youth at the centre while ensuring recreational facilities and equipment are properly used and maintained.
- Providing support and casual counseling to youth as needed
- Promoting a safe, drug and alcohol-free environment by setting a positive example.
Preferred Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience working with youth in a recreational setting. (i.e. after-school programs, camps, coaching) is essential.
- Degree or diploma from an accredited Recreation Program is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Ability to speak Inuktitut is an asset
- Suicide prevention/intervention training is an asset
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate must successfully pass a criminal reference check and TB test.
The hourly rate of pay for this position is $28.00 plus 6% settlement allowance if applicable.
Please submit your resume and qualifications to:
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Fax: (867) 979-5210
We will only contact those who are invited for an interview.
The City of Iqaluit may apply their priority hiring policy for internal applicants.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.