2017-26 Emergency Medical Technician/Fire-Fighter (6 month term)
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
6 month term
Emergency Medical Technician/Fire-Fighter
Under the direction of the Deputy Fire Chief, the incumbents will report to their immediate supervisor (Captain/Lieutenant), and are responsible for fire/rescue response, pre-hospital emergency medical care, fire prevention, public education and fire inspections. The incumbents will also be responsible for performing minor maintenance of apparatus, small equipment, building and grounds, and dispatching the appropriate emergency and non- emergency personnel.
The ideal candidate should possess the following:
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Must be a graduate from a recognized Fire College/Academy.
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations;
- NFPA 1001 Fire fighter Level II;
- NFPA 1002 Fire Apparatus Driver Operator;
- NFPA 1006 Technical Rescuer (rope rescue & auto extrication);
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Certification
- Current CPR Level C-HCP, Spinal & AED endorsement
- Valid Class 3 Drivers License with air brake endorsement
- Valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or YORK fitness test (within last 6 months)
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector (Within last 6 months) from the RCMP or Local Police.
The successful candidates must possess good interpersonal skills, and the ability to work under stressful and emergency situations. The successful candidates will also be required to work shift work, including the week-ends. The ability to communicate in Inuktitut or French is a definite asset.
Equivalencies that include a combination of education, knowledge, skills and abilities to formal education and previous experience may be considered.
Please provide copies of all relevant certifications mentioned above. If the above mentioned requirements are not submitted with your resume, your application will NOT be considered.
The annual salary for this position is $64,352.79 plus an annual settlement allowance of $20,907.43 and an excellent benefits package.
Please submit your resume to:
P.O. Box 460
City of Iqaluit, X0A 0H0
Fax (867) 979-5210
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Iqaluit may apply their priority hiring policy for internal candidates.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.