2017-16 Summer Day Camp Leader
Summer Student Employment Opportunity
Summer Day Camp Leader
The City of Iqaluit Recreation Department is looking for enthusiastic Summer Day Camp Leaders. Summer Day Camp Leaders are responsible for overseeing, planning and leading children’s activities that fit into an established day camp format. Activities include songs, drama, sports, arts and crafts and working as a team member in all areas of camp. Time commitment involves working Monday-Friday for approximately 35 hours per week for 9 weeks (June 26-August 25, 2017).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to inspire co-workers and create a positive group atmosphere.
- Responsible for the overall safety of 10-12 campers on a daily base.
- Providing direction and guidance to campers both in organized activities and the learning of new skills.
- Oversee before and after care program.
- Maintain accurate program records and follow up details.
- Ensure a positive and safe and environment for campers.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean facility, and work/play area.
- Student (High School or Post-Secondary)
- Must have completed grade 10
- Clear Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check
- Current First Aid & CPR certification
- Tuberculosis Screening
Preferred Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience working with children in a recreational setting.
- Ability to communicate clearly with staff, parents, and camp participants.
- Previous Day Camp or Summer Camp experience is preferred
- “High Five” Certification
- Ability to speak Inuktitut or French is an asset.
The starting pay rate for this position is $25.84 per hour + 6% vacation pay.
Please submit your resume to:
Reference # 2017-16
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit Nunavut X0A 0H0
Fax (867) 979 5210
Only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
The city may apply their priority hiring policy for internal applicants.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.