2017-PW-RMF-0917 Roads Maintenance Foreman - 1 Year Term
Roads Maintenance Foreman
1 YEAR TERM
Under the direction of the Roads Maintenance Manager, the Roads Maintenance Foreman position is one of leading day-to-day operational maintenance of the combined total road network within the municipality of Iqaluit, Nunavut. It includes the responsibility for public works depots, sand, calcium and pre-mix asphalt and aggregate storage, drainage improvements, walkway and trail way networks, safety guiderail protection and traffic line markings. The Roads Maintenance Foreman is responsible for the supervision, planning, coordinating and organizing road maintenance functions including the gravel program, regular road maintenance, roads operations, contract operations, winter snowplowing, sanding operations, culvert repair, and signage.
Responsibilities will also include assisting with records management, budget as it relates to costs and expenditures, and contract supervision as required. Ensure employee training needs are met relative to Health and Safety, work procedures, new technology, innovation, legislation and regulations, performance and training of staff in consultation with the Roads Maintenance Manager and Human Resources staff. To achieve this, you will be working independently and in concert with management, contractors, employees, and the general public.
Your work will enable the City of Iqaluit to continually provide excellent support and delivery of services related to the operation of municipal roads.
- Grade 12
- College or Specialized Trades Certificates
- Heavy Equipment Operator's Certificate
- Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T) designation or recognized equivalency
- Class 3 Licence with Air Brake Endorsement
Specific Skill or Knowledge Required
- 3-5 or more years’ experience in a Public Works Department, Northern experience is preferred
- Progressive experience in operating and maintaining heavy equipment
- 3-5 years supervisory/foreman experience
- Ability to supervise staff in the safe handling of multiple pieces of municipal equipment and vehicles
- Well rounded experience with a strong technical ability relating to engineering solutions, organization and management skills
- Knowledge of computer (Excel, Word, Email, Internet)
- Proven ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
- Proven ability to develop, plan and execute multiple tasks independently
- Ability to speak Inuktitut is a definite asset
Equivalencies that include a combination of education, knowledge, skills and abilities to formal education will be considered.
The annual salary range for this position is $70,368.93 - $84,447.41 and will be based on combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. The City of Iqaluit also provides an excellent benefit package including an annual Settlement Allowance of $20,907.43 and an excellent benefits package.
Please provide copies of your current credentials and any certifications you possess with your application referencing 2017-PW-RMF-0917.
The closing date for this position: Open until Filled
Please submit your application to:
Reference # 2017-PW-RMF-0917
City of Iqaluit
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Iqaluit may apply their priority hiring policy for internal applicants.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.