ADMIN16-01 City Council Clerk
City Council Clerk
The City of Iqaluit’s Administration Department is looking for a strong, flexible leader to join the senior management team. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for dealing effectively with Council, the public and staff with due regard for protocol, process, procedures and policies. Council secretariat services include Council/Committee agenda preparations, reviewing and proofing reports, attendance at meetings, and by-law preparation as well as processing and/or interpreting legal documents, procedure/policy manuals and territorial legislation; and providing information and assistance to a variety of internal and external contacts. The incumbent will also be responsible for areas of Council support, local Government election services, Records Management/Retention system and other statutory duties. A high degree of tact, diplomacy and sensitivity to community issues are among a suite of desirable attributes. The incumbent must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Degree or designation in Public Administration or related discipline with a minimum of seven (7) years progressive responsible Municipal Management experience;
- Strong leadership, organizational, and human resource management skill;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Cities, Towns and Villages Act, the Local Authorities Elections Act, and all applicable acts and by-laws in a municipal setting;
- Thorough working knowledge of municipal functions and responsibilities;
- Strong working knowledge of legal and parliamentary procedures and administrative law with the ability to analyze and interpret all legislation affecting municipal operations;
- Excellent attention to detail as well as exceptional time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively with members of Council, staff and the public;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a proficiency in Microsoft office suite;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, customer service, and ability to work well with others and foster and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to work in a non-partisan manner;
Equivalencies that include a combination of education, skills and abilities to formal education may be considered.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate must successfully pass an enhanced criminal reference check and must be bondable.
The salary will commensurate with experience. The City of Iqaluit offers an excellent benefits package plus a Settlement/Housing Allowance of $22,378.20.
Closing date is : Open until filled
Please submit your resume to:
Department of Human Resources
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Fax: (867) 979-0228
We will only contact those invited for an interview.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.